I'm going to keep this post very short and to the point.
- Consciousness structures the physical body. It doesn't get any more fundamental than this.
- The ego is our primary consciousness-level function that generates resistance.
- The chronic ego-generated resistance (to any situation or any person or any idea) we experience in consciousness ultimately manifests in our physical body. The intangible feeling of resistance ultimately becomes very concrete and absolutely real on the physical level. This mechanism holds true even for people who have suppressed those feelings (and may deny they even have them).
- The chronic ego-generated resistance will manifest in a specific area of the physiology for any individual person according to the interplay of genetics, past events (potentially accidents or diet or any number of things), current lifestyle, and many other subtle factors.
- When the resistance born in consciousness physically manifests in ciliary body and choroid areas of the eye (affecting uveoscleral outflow) or in the trabecular meshwork area of the eye (affecting primary outflow), the result is pathologically elevated intraocular pressure.
- If we have elevated eye pressure, it means that our own body has a vulnerability in the spots related to intraocular fluid outflow. It also means that we have lived with chronic patterns of resistance in our consciousness for a large part of our lives.
The way out of this is through understanding the ego. Eckhart Tolle, in A New Earth, says, "resistance is an inner contraction, a hardening of the shell of the ego. You are closed. Whatever action you take in a state of inner resistance (which we could also call negativity) will create more outer resistance, and the universe will not be on your side; life will not be helpful. If the shutters are closed, the sunlight cannot come in. When you yield internally, when you surrender, a new dimension of consciousness opens up. If action is possible or necessary, your action will be in alignment with the whole and supported by creative intelligence, the unconditioned consciousness which in a state of inner openness you become one with. Circumstances and people then become helpful, cooperative."
It is worth studying Tolle's definition of the ego while keeping in mind the truth that consciousness creates the physical body.
I'm collecting some very interesting data supporting the relationship between the ego and intraocular pressure. Let me illustrate with a comparison.
So far, exercise has had one of the most profoundly positive effects on lowering my eye pressure of any drug, activity, food, supplement or anything else I have ever tried. Exercise will almost always lower my intraocular pressure more quickly than using a glaucoma medication will and the reduction will be just as large (however, the effect will not be as long-lasting). In short, the right type of exercise has a powerful and immediate effect on IOP.
You may be surprised to know that ego-centric mental patterns have such a profoundly powerful effect on intraocular pressure that they can often completely override the IOP-reducing effects of both exercise and glaucoma medications. I have discussed this many, many times in past years here on FitEyes.com, but I have not made such direct statements in the past. I am able to make these statements now because I understand more about the ego. In addition, due to ongoing work on my own extremely ego-centric thinking, I care less (just a bit less) about criticism from others. Certainly it still bothers me, but in the past I tended to water down my statements to avoid criticism. This particular post was written largely without concern about how others would view it (at least until I got to the end and got ready to click the "publish" button).